Vancouver Gaming Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» VAMPIRE THE MASQUERADE - DARK AGES
Looking For Fun (Adult) Group - DnD5e - South Granville or nearby - Weeknights or possibly weekend I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2017 2:50 am by Dave the GM

» Looking for a group to DM
Looking For Fun (Adult) Group - DnD5e - South Granville or nearby - Weeknights or possibly weekend I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 9:48 am by newbie100

» Looking For Fun (Adult) Group - DnD5e - South Granville or nearby - Weeknights or possibly weekend
Looking For Fun (Adult) Group - DnD5e - South Granville or nearby - Weeknights or possibly weekend I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2016 8:35 am by Hungover

» Looking for players rifts metro 2033 style
Looking For Fun (Adult) Group - DnD5e - South Granville or nearby - Weeknights or possibly weekend I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2016 12:33 am by Phox

» Lower Mainland Pathfinder Society looking for players/gms!
Looking For Fun (Adult) Group - DnD5e - South Granville or nearby - Weeknights or possibly weekend I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2016 6:53 pm by Sayok

» hey gang lets talk about rpgs and stuff
Looking For Fun (Adult) Group - DnD5e - South Granville or nearby - Weeknights or possibly weekend I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2016 8:33 pm by Xanatos

» Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide
Looking For Fun (Adult) Group - DnD5e - South Granville or nearby - Weeknights or possibly weekend I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2016 8:08 pm by Emryys

» West World HBO TV; Which System?
Looking For Fun (Adult) Group - DnD5e - South Granville or nearby - Weeknights or possibly weekend I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2016 11:38 am by Emryys

» Forum Posting Terms of Agreement!
Looking For Fun (Adult) Group - DnD5e - South Granville or nearby - Weeknights or possibly weekend I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2016 1:39 pm by Emryys

I forgot my password

Looking For Fun (Adult) Group - DnD5e - South Granville or nearby - Weeknights or possibly weekend

4 posters

Go down

Looking For Fun (Adult) Group - DnD5e - South Granville or nearby - Weeknights or possibly weekend Empty Looking For Fun (Adult) Group - DnD5e - South Granville or nearby - Weeknights or possibly weekend

Post by Hungover Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:02 pm

Looking to join, or create, a group for DnD 5e play. Downtown, Kits, South Granville, Main or maybe Commercial Broadway areas. Looking for some easy going adults to have a few pints and play after work weekly (Monday, Wednesday or Thursday), or a longer session on the weekend (which wouldn't have to be weekly).

I'd be open to playing other systems too, but as one shots or as an alternative, as I'd like to get more 5e time in as I'm a fan and those are the books I have the most of.

DnD is recreation to me, and while as a player I'm more of a Problem-Solver and Storyteller type I have played with a diverse group of player styles before, I'd like to fall on the side of fun rather than super serious. Co-operative storytelling, creating fun stories and having a laugh is ideal. Player versus Player is something I'd prefer to avoid, unless we were doing a bit of Paranoia or something, but some intra-party conflict can be gold if communicated so everyone is on the same page.

I potentially could run some sessions as an alternate DM/GM, though it's not my strength or preference.

Ideally could play at someone's apartment or a pub with good sized tables (such as the Storm Crow, but doesn't have to be).

Hungover

Back to top Go down

Looking For Fun (Adult) Group - DnD5e - South Granville or nearby - Weeknights or possibly weekend Empty Re: Looking For Fun (Adult) Group - DnD5e - South Granville or nearby - Weeknights or possibly weekend

Post by Emryys Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:15 pm

Welcome hungover,

Hope you find/create a group!
If you do and want a free forum for your group, just let me know...
Emryys
Emryys
Admin

https://vancouvergamingguild.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Looking For Fun (Adult) Group - DnD5e - South Granville or nearby - Weeknights or possibly weekend Empty Re: Looking For Fun (Adult) Group - DnD5e - South Granville or nearby - Weeknights or possibly weekend

Post by Hungover Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:20 am

Cheers, will see if any interest pops up.

Hungover

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugarfix Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:57 pm

Hey, hungover!

I don't have any experience with 5e, but I've played a lot of 3.5e in my day. Weeknight games would be awesome, too!

I could meet near Commercial or Main areas (Kits is definitely pretty far out for me). Most of my experience was quite a few years ago, as a GM. I'm pretty rusty, but I'd be willing to GM Pathfinder. I know you said you prefer 5e, so I'm not sure if that would jive with you, but it's something I'm considering getting back into.

I'd also really like to spend a bit of time as a player. Especially if it's a new system, it would be great to hang out on the other side of the screen for a bit!

Do you think any of that lines up with what you're looking for?

Also, I was going to mention, if you're in South Vancouver, it would be well worth stopping by Strategies (board game shop on Main, around 20th ave). They seem to have a pretty active community, and I know at least a few of the staff there have mentioned they have ongoing games running with their friends. I'll be they'd have some leads on groups!

Sugarfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzlee Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:52 pm

Hey!
I'm new to RPG's and would like to join a weekly group and play Pathfinder or D&D 5e. Since I'm new I unfortunately be able to GM at the start but I'm definitely interested in learning to GM and would welcome the opportunity to run some games in the future.

Mondays are best for me but I can make Thursdays work as well. I'm downtown but am willing to travel as far east as Commercial, as west as Kits and as south as King Edward (basically where transit coverage is good and bike paths are plentiful Smile ).

I've been talking to several friends who are also fairly new to RPG's about starting a group so they might be interested in joining as well.

Let me know if that sounds like it might work out!

Grizzlee

Back to top Go down

Post by Hungover Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:19 pm

Hullo Sugarfix, hullo Grizzlee. Sorry for the slow response, the last few days have been hectic.

I've been to Strategies to shop, but didn't see anything on their webpage that says if they do open nights or Adventure League (which I suppose would be a way in). I know that often MTG dominates most night at shops.

As for Pathfinder, I'm pretty hesitant for a few reasons, the general system bloat from all the source books (which I don't own and would take up a lot of time trying to theory-craft a decent, non gibbed, chararacter), it's a wee bit crunchier than I'd prefer at the moment (though I know it's no Shadowrun, though if I wanted to calculate 12 modifiers, the setting is intriguing), and 5e is, for the most part, an elegantly balanced system with a, thus far, good corporate release model. Not that I'm saying Pathfinder or 3.5 are bad systems, they definitely have more flexibility and breadth, but it's not what I'm looking for at the moment.

Since non of us are ready to DM at the moment, though that may change, what if we see if we can meet up at one of the shops and see if there's a DM there? I've seen that 'Players Wanted' out on Victoria Avenue has AL events on Sundays. I don't know if or when Strategies might have one, but we can maybe try a session or two, see if there's a DM or group to join, and then move to the originally planned Monday or Thursday. It would also give everyone some time in front of the screen and a chance to play.

If you haven't already, the Basic Rules for 5e, which are free from their website, give everything you need to play (though with a few less options, but not in a disabling way). And after that, I have most of the sourcebooks and a lot of knowledge building characters.

Let me know what you think, cheers.

Hungover

Back to top Go down

Post by Hungover Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:24 pm

Oh, just looked at the hours for Strategies and Players Wanted. The former is usually open till 6pm, with Thursday and Friday till 9, and Sat and Sunday 6 & 5 respectively.

Players Wanted seems to be open till 9pm everyday. It's a long way out, and I wouldn't want it to be the main base (I'd rather not play in a store on a regular basis), but that could be more effective in pulling people in, though they may be from further away than we'd like.

Hungover

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzlee Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:54 pm

Yeah I could do a couple sessions at Player's Wanted but would also prefer to find a more convenient (in terms of location and hours) main base.

I've never been to the Storm Crow on Commercial - is that also a possibility or is it too loud or busy to sink into a good RPG?

Grizzlee

Back to top Go down

Post by Hungover Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:10 pm

Storm Crow on Commercial is probably too small and busy. If we were going that route (which I'm down for), I'd recommend the Storm Crow Alehouse on Broadway just near Granville. Much bigger, and if we were doing it on a Monday we could probably set up a recurring reservation for one of the larger tables.

I was going to try and make it to Player's Wanted this Sunday (fingers crossed there's roome), so maybe dash off an email to them and make an AL legal character (Adventurer's League) or ask for a pre-gen?

Hungover

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzlee Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:19 pm

Yeah actually Storm Crow on Broadway is perfect for me; it's just a hop over the bridge Smile

I was going to head to Player's Wanted this past Sunday but I called and they said they were pretty full. This coming Sunday I signed up to sit at the newb table at Board Game Warriors (meetup.com/The-Board-Gamers-of-Central-Vancouver/events/234929783/?rv=co1  sorry for the text url; I can't post links in here yet) in New West. It's pretty far out though, so maybe I should see if I can get a spot at Player's Wanted and join you there.

Grizzlee

Back to top Go down

Post by Hungover Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:21 pm

I've seen the ones for New West and Langley, and I can't convince myself to transit out that far, no matter how awesome they are.

Hungover

Back to top Go down

Post by Hungover Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:48 pm

Hey Grizzlee.

One of my managers came in while hacking and coughing this week, and it seems I've picked up the plague too. So I won't be at any of the sessions tomorrow. But I'm still interested. Just need more Ny&DayQuil first.

Hungover

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzlee Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:56 pm

Ok no worries, get well soon!
Are you interested in meeting up at Storm Crow on Monday night if you're feeling better by then?

Grizzlee

Back to top Go down

Post by Hungover Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:07 am

I'm still sick as a canine at the moment, so will have to take a rain cheque on tonight.

Hungover

Back to top Go down

Post by Hungover Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:39 pm

Recovered now, but we're about to hit the crazy holiday season. Would still be interested in trying to form something for the new year though!

Hungover

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzlee Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:15 pm

Sounds good, was just going to leave a message about that Very Happy
Despite the holiday craziness would you be interested in one ~3hr session before I head out of town next Wednesday? I've found someone to DM the Starter Set adventure (Lost Mines of Phandelver) and am putting together some players. No worries if not; we can connect after the 11th when I'm back in town Smile

Grizzlee

Back to top Go down

Post by Hungover Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:35 am

What day are you thinking? I work till 6 on the weekend days, but Monday would be easy. Might be able to do Friday too.

Hungover

Back to top Go down

Post by Hungover Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:35 am

(And after 6 on Sat/Sun)

Hungover

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down